View Single Post
Old 12-21-2018, 01:21 AM   #85
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookpossum View Post
Good point about Armand's thoughts on Percy. I have just gone back and looked at that chapter again. He had been on a visit to England and was now to return to France on his brother-in-law's yacht.

So he could well be unaware that Percy was the Scarlet Pimpernel, if he had been recruited by one of the lieutenants, as it were. There seemed to be little secret about who some of the League members were; the big secret was the identity of the Pimpernel himself. That would make sense in terms of testing Armand's trustworthiness.
That Armand didn't know probably makes the most sense of those opening chapters. This is how I read it at the time, but my reaction was how unlikely it seemed that he wouldn't work it out (oh look, there's Sir Percy again) ... but I suppose, since Sir Percy is his brother in-law the coincidence might be less apparent.

I became less certain that Armand didn't know with the intrigue surrounding the incriminating note. However the exact contents of that are not revealed, as far as memory and quick scan can verify, so it remains feasible that the note was not explicit regarding Armand having met the Pimpernel in person, although I am at a loss to think of what he needed to say in a note that he could not have said in person before he left.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote