View Single Post
Old 12-18-2018, 08:41 PM   #61
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
I can remember a 1950s vintage TV series that I watched in the early 60s as a pre-teen; I read the book much later. It was very action-orientated, which I think is also the strength of the book; the suspense is kept up nicely. If the novel was initially conceived as a play, that fits with how well it has been adapted to film and into pop culture.

I believe there was another TV series done in the late 1990s, but I haven't seen that.
I hadn't realised there was a 1950s TV series - that was about the time TV arrived in Australia and my parents didn't get a set for quite some time. I think Richard E Grant was in the 1990s TV series, but I didn't see it. I can imagine he would do it well.

But it all goes to show that it's the story and its pace that is why it has survived so well.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote