View Single Post
Old 12-07-2018, 11:15 AM   #1
codychan
Groupie
codychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud of

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Forma
Kobo system cannot recognize fonts added into system-wide fonts directory?

From Another thread:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...1&postcount=88

if you are really curious why I want to add fonts into system-wide directory why not just sideload those fonts, please check the context of that thread.

Using patch system, I successfully deleted several fonts in kobo system-wide fonts directory(/usr/local/Trolltech/QtEmbedded-4.6.2-arm/lib/fonts/), and they are no longer in the drop-list of changing-font in reading page.

But when I tried to add fonts into kobo system-wide fonts directory, the fonts I added are not in the drop-list(BTW, the fonts I added are working fine when sideloaded), so I did a little trick, add the following line to the end of the shell script which removes the fonts to list all fonts in /usr/local/Trolltech/QtEmbedded-4.6.2-arm/lib/fonts/ and print the list into `nickel home` directory:

ls usr/local/Trolltech/QtEmbedded-4.6.2-arm/lib/fonts/* > /mnt/onboard/fonts-list

So I check the list in fonts-list when I connect my Kobo to PC. And the fonts I added are exactly all in the list(as expected, the fonts I deleted are not in the list). It means I did add them into usr/local/Trolltech/QtEmbedded-4.6.2-arm/lib/fonts/ but Kobo cannot recognize them when I want to change fonts when I'm reading. Why is that?

And I notice another thing, when I extract the kobo firmware zip file and try to open *ANY* font in the kobo-update-4.11.12019\KoboRoot\usr\local\Trolltech\QtEmbedded-4.6.2-arm\lib\fonts, it failed to open it.

Double left-clicking it in Windows10, it says

"The requested file xxx is not a valid font file."

And I tried to open it using FontForge, it failed to open it too, it says:

"xxx is not a known format (or uses features of that format fontforge does not support, or is so badly corrupted as to be unreadable)."

That is so weird.

Last edited by codychan; 12-07-2018 at 11:44 AM.
codychan is offline   Reply With Quote