View Single Post
Old 03-03-2009, 12:53 PM   #36
Liviu_5
Books and more books
Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: Nook Color, Itouch, Nokia770, Sony 650, Sony 700(dead), Ebk(given)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LazyScot View Post
How would you react to the alternative model where you pay for the device, and for the life of the device you get free content?
It all depends on price/features/content availabilty/device specs

I am not averse to such, but not a big fan either.

I used to subscribe to Rhapsody for several years until they raised their price and I realized I did not use it enough to justify that considering the harder times, and I love public libraries though here I am forced to pay for my local one by law.

But I would still pay for my library if it was a choice, though it's clear that such is not sustainable considering the relatively low percentage of property taxes payers that use it heavily to be worth the cost. So my neighbors pay for my library access and for my son's education whatever their preferences are - the way I pay for the immediate neighbor 3 kids versus mine only one - because that's what society thinks it's worth...

So ultimately I believe that any subscription model is doomed unless the fee is forced on a big pool of people by law (say like an ISP music fee, property tax, city income tax..). How do I feel about that - hard to say, again it depends on specifics and how they stack up for me, but I have no objection of principle, nor I would support it in principle either...

I know the N800 has this model for music (pay for device, get music for free for a while at least if not lifetime of device), and I will be curious how it works, but again I just do not think the economics to sustain it is there...
Liviu_5 is offline   Reply With Quote