View Single Post
Old 06-18-2018, 10:05 AM   #51
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookpossum View Post
Hi Pajamaman. I tried out the Pevear amd the Hobson, and decided on the Hobson. But either of these would be a good modern translation.
Thanks! I've gone with Hobson. It looks much better than the version I read before. I must say, it's going to be a lot more fun reading it in a good translation than in the original French. It's just too tiresome for me. And all that passé simple tense. Yuck!

I generally find French a tedious language in literature, both for its grammar and for the style of writing (existential, pompous navel-gazing), but Dumas is its towering exception. He had good taste too and loved Shakespeare. He said something like, After God Shakespeare created the most.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote