View Single Post
Old 02-24-2009, 03:38 PM   #16
latchkeyed
latchkeyed began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen3
bent

Quote:
Originally Posted by chorpler View Post
I found a local plastics company that will make the 12" version for $22, the 14" version for $27.50, and the 9" version for $14. But they're thermally bending the plexiglas to make the 90-degree bend. According to them, this will result in a "point" with an outside diameter of 1.5 times the thickness of the material, which is 1/8" plexiglas that has an actual thickness of 0.110", so it will be 0.165". Is this pointy enough to fit into a book and capture all the text, do you think? Is your plexiglass plate thermally bent, or did they join two pieces somehow?
Interesting. Most of mine are bent and I've never seen a point on the corner. Might have something to do with the bending process but mine all have round edges. I did get one built joining two pieces to see if that would make a big difference. If you go that route you'll want the pieces to be beveled together before joining and you will probably need some side pieces to support the joint.

As for the resolution, take a look at the OCR results here: http://bkrpr.org/doku.php?id=results

All those pictures were taken at 6MP. I've found 5MP is generally the floor for high quality OCR, but MP is certainly not everything.
latchkeyed is offline   Reply With Quote