View Single Post
Old 02-24-2009, 03:11 PM   #1
tlc
Connoisseur
tlc knows what's going on.tlc knows what's going on.tlc knows what's going on.tlc knows what's going on.tlc knows what's going on.tlc knows what's going on.tlc knows what's going on.tlc knows what's going on.tlc knows what's going on.tlc knows what's going on.tlc knows what's going on.

Device: K2, NC, KK3GSO
command line vs GUI (PDF->MOBI for K2)

I'm a MAC user who is new to e-readers and my Kindle is on it's way.
I'm trying to convert some PDFs before it gets here.

The 0.4.140 GUI choked on several of my PDFs. (See trac.) I tried "any2mobi filename" on one and it seems to have worked -- no errors reported, but I don't have a reader....

I could write a script to traverse the directories use any2mobi on my PDFs. But ...

1) How do I make the GUI (database?) aware of them? This will be important when I get to the "Send to device" phase.

2) There's a lot of probably important options to any2mobi that I don't know what to do with.

3) Does meta data need to live in the mobi files? Or will Calibre share them with the Kindle through some other mechanism? I had to get a good regex to get the metadata from the filenames and tell calibre to not read metadata from the files. I imagine those results are currently in the DB, not the PDFs.

Does anyone have a good workflow for converting a large number of PDFs to MOBI for the Kindle?? I saw a good-looking workflow post that combined Calibre with something else, but I can't find it now.

Thanks,
tlc

Last edited by tlc; 02-24-2009 at 03:18 PM.
tlc is offline   Reply With Quote