ManyBooks.net is the URL. From their About page:
All of the eBooks from manybooks.net are free, however donations toward the maintenance of the site are welcome.
Many of the etexts are from the November, 2003 Project Gutenberg DVD, which contains the entire Project Gutenberg archives except for the Human Genome Project and audio eBooks, due to size limitations, and the Project Gutenberg of Australia eBooks, due to copyright. As of July 2004 most current PG texts are available here, usually within the week of release. There are also public domain and creative commons works from other sources.
Zip archives are stored in the same directory structure as on the DVD, with Author, Title, and related information stored in a MySQL database. Pages are built with PHP and served using the Apache webserver. The server is a 1.66GHz Intel Core Duo Mac mini running Mac OS X 10.4, located at macminicolo.net.
eBooks are generated on demand using a variety of tools, and cached for future readers - which means that the first time anyone requests an eBook in a particular format it will take a bit longer to deliver, but the next time that eBook is requested it will be sent immediately.
Popular formats - a running count of the relative popularity of each ebook format.
Most Popular eBooks of 2008
Most Popular eBooks of 2007
Most Popular eBooks of 2005
Most Popular eBooks of 2004
You can contribute to the digitization of public domain books by participating in Distributed Proofreading.
* gut or txt2html for text -> html.
* PHP-PDB for Palm Doc.
* Pyrite Publisher. (might be gone - see Freshmeat project page for some information.)
* rbmake for RocketBook format.
* makeztxt for ztxt format.
* htmldoc for HTML -> PDF conversion.
* HTMLtidy for fixing up the automatic HTML generated by "gut".
* makelrf 0.3
* makebook for eReader format.
* methods originally developed by Daniel Duris for iPod Notes conversion.
* Apple's textutil command for RTF.
* Desktop Connection Library for Newton Paperback format.
* Mobigen.exe for Mobipocket format.
* Wine to run mobigen.exe on OS X.
* Componnents of mjBook for cellphone ".jar" files
* HAWHAW toolkit for the WAP site http://mnybks.net
* Calibre for ePUB format.