View Single Post
Old 08-04-2006, 11:04 AM   #5
rlauzon
Wizard
rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.

Device: Opus/System76 Starling
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmeister0
The big but here is this: the content providers have to be honest about this. I don't necessarily think the Sony Libre book rental model was a horrible one *if* a price incentive is presented and the terms of the rental are clearly stated.
Like a library that lets you check out eBooks. They state in the rules that the eBook will "self-delete" after a week since that's all the check out period is for. You didn't pay for, and the library isn't promising, an eBook that you get to keep forever, so this works.

But if you go to some site, pay hardcover price for an eBook, you expect to get the same rights and abilities that you would get if you had bought the hardcover: you get to use it forever, that it would be able to be read 10 years from now, etc.

When I buy a paper book, I have certain rights and restrictions.
When I buy an eBook, I expect to have the same rights and restrictions. If I get less rights and more restrictions, then the eBook is worth less and I expect it to cost less.

In the case of DRM, I have no rights - only priviledges which can be revoked at any time - and lots of restrictions. So the value of a DRMed eBook is whatever is the "throw away" value of the book is - usually somewhere around $1 for me.
rlauzon is offline   Reply With Quote