View Single Post
Old 08-04-2006, 06:22 AM   #2
rlauzon
Wizard
rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.

Device: Opus/System76 Starling
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic
Shouldn't we be concerned now about our previously purchased e-books, which may disappear from the Adobe Media Library any day?
Excuse me if I sound more than a little harsh here.

When you purchase a DRMed anything today (whether it be an iTunes song or an eBook), why are you concerned that it may not be available for use tomorrow?

Didn't you read the license agreement? You didn't buy that item. You leased it. You signed an agreement (sort of) that basically said "You pay us money and we let you use this item for a while, with no guarantee that you can use it tomorrow. We can revoke your right to use the item at anytime for any reason because you don't own it and you have no rights to it."

So losing access to your DRMed eBooks should be no surprise. They told you (in legal-ese, though) that could (and probably would) happen.

After all, that's what DRM is for! They want you to pay for every time you want to use the item - they are just "turning up the heat" gradually. Yesterday, it was pay once and use it forever. Today it's pay every so often, use it a few times in between. Tomorrow it will be pay everytime you want to use it.

DRM is all about control. It's about control over how, when and where you use the content.

IHMO, anyone who buys a DRMed anything and expects to use it more than once is a fool.

My apologies in advance, if I offended anyone.
rlauzon is offline   Reply With Quote