View Single Post
Old 05-02-2017, 05:07 PM   #54
Keslynn
Plausible Deniability
Keslynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keslynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keslynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keslynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keslynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keslynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keslynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keslynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keslynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keslynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keslynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Paperwhite, iPad Mini 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
Another reason to avoid the genre!

If an author wants an invented name pronounced in a certain way, he should spell it phonetically or find some other way to reveal the preferred pronunciation.

A lot of fantasy authors (including the aforementioned Jordan) will have a glossary with a pronunciation guide. That doesn't always stop me from pronouncing it the wrong way in my head anyway.

Karen Moning has pronunciation guide for Gaelic words in her Irish-set urban fantasy series. I was very grateful for that!
Keslynn is offline   Reply With Quote