View Single Post
Old 03-01-2017, 11:37 PM   #3
eggheadbooks1
Read, don't parrot.
eggheadbooks1 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.eggheadbooks1 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.eggheadbooks1 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.eggheadbooks1 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.eggheadbooks1 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.eggheadbooks1 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.eggheadbooks1 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.eggheadbooks1 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.eggheadbooks1 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.eggheadbooks1 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.eggheadbooks1 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kobo Touch, Aldiko for Android
I assumed it was applying ePub3 standards because the HTML that I had used (re: adding background color directly in the td tag instead of creating a class) was previously accepted last time I used it about a year or so ago. Now the validator rejects it as not allowed. This is why I believed that the validator was using ePub3 standards despite my trying to validate an ePub2.

My understanding is also that the "type" attribute in un/ordered lists is allowed in HTML4. So when it failed validation, I googled it and I found that "type" as an attribute in the ol and ul tags was deprecated in HTML5. Again, this led me to believe that ePub3 standards were being applied to my file by the validator.

When I tried to use CSS to create a class to do the same thing -- create lowercase lettered bullets, for example, using the list-style-type attribute -- Sigil didn't apply the class. I tried to find if there is an alternate attribute that I am supposed to be using, but to no avail (hence my OP). I'll try again in Sigil in case I missed something.

I know that devices do not render such lists equally; this is an experiment in which I need to see what, if anything, works and where. I have been testing both in my ePub apps and converting to Kindle via the new Previewer3.

Re: strike: I thought strike was only rendered obsolete in HTML5, but not HTML 4, because when I used the strikethrough icon on the Sigil toolbar, it applied <strike>, not <del>, to the text. I just tested it again in a new file in Sigil; it definitely applies <strike> to the text -- but only in book view. In code view, if you use the strikethrough icon, Sigil applies <del> to the text. I didn't notice this anomaly before. Hence my confusion.

While we're on the topic, <u> was deprecated in HTML 4.01 and will cause validation failure but Sigil still uses it if you underline text using the underline icon on the toolbar. Why is that?
eggheadbooks1 is offline   Reply With Quote