View Single Post
Old 01-17-2017, 01:18 AM   #55
disconnected
Fanatic
disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra, H2O2e2, Clara, Auras, Kindles, Nooks, Sony, iPAQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by sufue View Post
Something in the Air is the 20th in the John Putnam Thatcher series by Emma Lathen. It is a US Kindle Countdown deal at $0.99 for about 1/2 more day, before going up to $1.99 for an unknown amount of time. These ebook editions of Lathen's titles are sort of weird, including that the blurb starts out with "ePub version", which is clearly not the case on Kindle US. If you want to see more, this was discussed when these editions first started appearing in the "Books you gave up on ever being ebooks" thread (link) - just search on "Lathen". At very first glance, this one looks a little better than the early ones, though, although the "editor" of these editions makes him- or her-self much more visible up front than I like to see an editor. In any case, though, a classic series...and one of my favorite series of all time, especially since I started reading these while I was in business school, and it seemed like every time we covered a topic from letters of credit to franchising to deregulation, there was a relevant title in this series.

link: https://www.amazon.com/Something-Air...dp/B01N4EDW4U/

blurb from the weird ebook edition:
Spoiler:
ePub version. A discount airlines is considering going from a profitable commuter line to a major coast to coast airline, taking on the big guys. An internal fight breaks out, the Sloan is involved through a loan, and stock in a trust they manage, so John Putnam must get involved with his henchmen, Gabler as auditor and Trinkham as insighter. Great fun, deals with many pieties, so a must read.

much better blurb from Publishers Weekly:
I wish this series had been acquired by a reputable publisher. The original books always seemed so meticulously researched and written it's awful to see them treated like this. I bought this one book but I don't think I can bear to buy any more of them.

I googled this Deaver Brown person and found this on Smashwords --

"Deaver Brown is a Harvard College Magna graduate in History and a graduate of Harvard Business School. He has been a serial entrepreneur starting with the Umbroller stroller in the 1970s, American Power Conversion in the 1980s, Pride Retail Systems in the 1990s, and Simply Magazine and Products since then. He authored The Entrepreneurs Guide through Macmillan and Ballantine, which later formed the basis of the Simply Business series."

The man has no shame. You'd think he would have expended a little effort in preparing the books before putting his name (prominently) on them.

Edit -- He even seems to have added an additional title not written by the original authors as well as a short book about the "mysterious" authors; the content in the look-inside seems to have been taken directly from news articles written when Mary Jane Latsis died.

Last edited by disconnected; 01-17-2017 at 01:28 AM. Reason: more ranting
disconnected is offline   Reply With Quote