View Single Post
Old 01-13-2017, 10:48 AM   #65
Difflugia
Testate Amoeba
Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Many Android devices, Kindle 2, Toshiba e755 PocketPC
Quote:
Originally Posted by GtrsRGr8 View Post
People who eat rare steaks (eating rare chicken, hamburger, et al. are no-no's) say that they taste better than ones fully cooked. I'll just have to take their word for it--I'm not going to eat any rare steak.
I don't know if "better" is necessarily always true, but they do taste markedly different. If you can get past the squeamishness even once, I really recommend trying it so you at least know what you're missing.

I assume raw fish is out, as well?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Rare can be delicious, but if it done wrong it is unedible. Same for well done. It can be good or It could make good leather.
The problem is that I don't like the texture of raw beef fat, so marbled cuts are out. Something like a NY strip, I like medium rare so that the fat has a chance to melt. I almost never get steak at restaurants, though, because too many chefs overcook steaks in general. I only bother if I'm at an Outback or I spring for a trip to Ruth's Chris or something.

If you want a rare burger, buy a piece of tenderloin at the meat counter (a half-pound piece will cost less than a burger at most restaurants) and chop it yourself. If you know a grocery store with its own butcher, tell him or her that you're going to make steak Tartar and they'll usually cut you a really good piece.

I freeze it until it's firm, but not solid and put it in a food processor. Partially freezing lets the processor chop it into small pieces instead of a paste. If you're worried about bacteria, add a shot of either liquor (brandy, bourbon) or good vinegar while you're processing it and let it sit for a few minutes. At that point it's perfect for a burger (or steak Tartar). I also like it raw, sliced thin and sprinkled with toasted sesame seeds.
Difflugia is offline   Reply With Quote