View Single Post
Old 02-02-2009, 05:24 PM   #5
jj2me
Fanatic
jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony: PRS-505, -350; Kindle 3 3G, Fire; ZiiO 7"; Slick ER-701
Ahh, thanks much. For us newbies, "Settings" is the hammer icon (termed "Configuration" in a mouse rollover) over to the right of the Search bar.

I'm always shutting down
1. for new version installs.

2. to stimulate a stalled news fetch. This occurs only on a 1 GHz 512MB XP machine, not on a more powerful Vista machine, so it is likely something about my machine. After about three or four successful fetches, it'll stall on "Waiting" for over an hour, so I shut down Calibre, restart it, and it resumes fetching.

3. So Calibre won't automatically install the NY Times or similar large news feeds. Attempting to read any big news feed like this (about 1400 pages) loaded by Calibre on my Sony PRS-505 causes a restart of the device. Loading the same using the Sony eBook Library works fine.

[EDIT: I see in the Settings/Configuration that I can tick away the automatic loading, so #3 is no longer an issue. Calibre constantly surprises me with its goodness.]

Last edited by jj2me; 02-02-2009 at 05:33 PM. Reason: Calibre is wonderful
jj2me is offline   Reply With Quote