View Single Post
Old 07-23-2006, 10:29 AM   #12
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STGR
Quote:
Originally Posted by branko
They have? Must have missed that. How long will they have to stay in prison? (I am assuming you are talking incarceration. That is what I would get if I'd installed a rootkit on thousands of computers. Anything else I can hardly call "burned".)

They probably got out of that because it was buried in their license agreement somewhere. You'd avoid prison too if you had documentation that the users of those PC's agreed (kinda-sorta) to being rootkitted. What I meant was that they lost a lot of customers over the episode. I'm not saying they shouldn't feel some enduring pain for that, nor even that they've necessarily felt enough, only that they are feeling some, and that pain is strong motivator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by branko
Sure. As I said, in a decade or two.

They showed signs of learning before, you know.
Fair enough, it's good to keep an open mind about such things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ath
SD support includes SD CPRM, doesn't it? there could easily be DRM pitfalls in support of SD card: SD CPRM may even be the reason for including SD support. Until a device has been tested critically and carefully, there's no way of knowing what the presence of a SD reader really means to the user.
It includes the hardware support, presumably, but the software wouldn't necessarily be implemented. If it were, I believe they'd be the first commercial device to do so -- I don't know of another, at least.

As I see it, the most "practical terms" applicaion of the SD slot is to allow you to not use Memory Sticks for your expandable memory.

In any case, they're selling "their" content online, whatever DRM they put on their content isn't likely to require any memory card to function.

In any case, I think SD CPRM is potentially the fairest of the DRM options -- you could create an e-text that could be lent, sold, bought and read anywhere on any plaform. Basically, you could do anything with it that you can do with a p-book, but still they could prevent you from copying it other than page by page with a scanner. Gee, doesn't that describe what most of us have been saying we want DRM to not interfere with?

I'm not saying SD CPRM couldn't be done badly, or even that it wouldn't be done badly -- I'm sure it could and would. But any driver can act like a fool and kill folks, that doesn't make cars inherently bad, does it?

Just some thoughts. (my brother would quip here: "just barely" )
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote