View Single Post
Old 08-29-2016, 06:07 PM   #9
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feathers_McGraw View Post
I'd like to have the ability to install standard commandline utilities on the kindle so I can use it for debugging servers, I quite like the eink screen for terminal work, and the battery life is killer.
The battery run-time on a single charge (assuming battery is in 'new' condition) is about 2 to 4 hours, depending.

You don't need either a chroot nor Optware to run what you want to run.

No insult intended, but . . . .

*) Linux, like nearly any other *nix system, uses ELF format binaries.
*) All ELF format systems support multiple, concurrent, system libraries.

A point overlooked, or unknown to the authors of all those old Debian chroot and Optware posts.

Translation:
You can just install binaries from your preferred Debian/ARMel release in the visible USB user mass storage area and run them from there.

twobob even wrote scripts that determine what dependencies are not already installed on the Kindle.

AND...
There is a 'standardized' file storage tree for USB mass storage.

You most likely will have to edit the interpreter entry and the rpath entry of the binaries.

But there is a tool for that (patchelf) - you can use Buildroot to build the most recent verison of patchelf for yourself.
In fact, you probably build all of the common things you want with the same run of a Buildroot instance.

You do have to deal with programs that expect a writable /etc and a persistent ~ for root.
But there is a good selection of ways to deal with those details.

I don't have a worked example for the K3 but the worked example for the 5.x series firmware is similar in principle.
See the thread:
ARMhf on Kindle
(or something like that, filter by my nickname and use ARMhf as a title keyword in your search here).
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote