View Single Post
Old 01-24-2009, 08:41 AM   #33
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidknytOwl View Post
Well that was going to be a main portion in my argument. Would you have been irritated or even noticed if they included an excerpt from the Bible? It would have bothered me.

I was half expecting when opening this thread to see that someone found out that the Sony store offers a Bible but not the Koran, or something similar. (Which as a side note I looked at the store to see if they did have both, and they not only did, but the religious sub-sections included one for atheism. I would argue that Sony seems to be more religious tolerant than most, although other posts are probably more accurate with they care about money and not the other parts.)

My question to you is do you think your strong reaction to the inclusion is in part that you are used to things being on your side of religion? Like the above Bible question? I would bet that as a believer in god you probably don't even notice how many things across the US have Christian undertones. For example, I read a news article today about the Maryland kid who killed his family getting four life sentences. The last line of the article?

"The question of whether his actions were just diabolically evil," Bollinger said, "is up to almighty God."

Bollinger being the County Circuit Judge that did the sentencing.

Would you have even noticed or thought about that sentence? As part of the 10-15% that doesn't believe in your god, it's something I get harassed with every day. A judge shouldn't be mentioning god. Nor should there be god in the presidential oath, on the money, etc. It doesn't matter that the majority of the population believe in it, although I don't think the 85-90% all refer to their deity as god anyway. The country was founded on the separation of church and state and the freedom of religion, yet there is clear Christian bias in the country.

How much of the inclusion of the book is because it really offends you, and how much is because you're just not used to being faced with the blatant countering of your religious beliefs on a regular basis? I would have been pissed off if they included the Bible, but nowhere near to the degree that you were for them including this book. I think you're just not used to the tables being turned against you.
I'm suprised you wouold be pissed off if the Bible was included. I'm an athiest to, but I recognize the fact that the Bible is the most ubiquitious book. I even have a copy of it.