View Single Post
Old 06-10-2016, 05:52 PM   #10
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattmc View Post
Maaaaybe.

Why, dear god? Just...why?
(n.b.: I'm not sure we're all down with the "enhanced typography," either. I know that I just am not wild about Bookerly. I mean, yawn much? Although, I confess, hyphenation possibilities would be loverly.)

Now, onto the question: I don't know WHY. I'm as perplexed and vexed as anyone, I assure you. We've all known for a long time that the PW occurs after "save and publish;" we've know that the SRL can change, when messed with in the PW. We know that other things, not discussed by the Zon, can/do/may change in the PW. (For example, the wee "leave us a review before you go" thing. Believe it or not, that's been applied SELECTIVELY for years now.)

I can only surmise that something in this font's font characteristics--a descender, ascender, the metrics (weight, proportion, letter form, midline style, X-height, units above/below the baseline, internal leading...the truetype file structure, perhaps?...SOMETHING) doesn't play nicely with either KP or the other font.

The font survived the first build (KG). It survived the 2nd (mobi then loaded at KDP). We sent the post-step-7 "Preview mobi" to the client, as previously, that's been ironclad. Baked in. Immutable.

And now...it's not. And they've confirmed that this type of thing CAN CHANGE at the PW. And obviously, it's not being changed in any way that we want, not thus far. We now can't know. CAN'T know, not for sure, not before it's published. That part makes me ever so slightly nauseous, thinking about the repercussions. I can't imagine how this is going to play out. Not for us. I really can't.

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote