View Single Post
Old 01-23-2009, 08:53 AM   #1
Polyglot27
Addict
Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Gen3, Archos 80 G9, Sony PRS-650, Sony T1, Asus MemoPad.
Do you get a second wind when switching from horizontal to vertical script?

Since I have noticed that there are other members of MR that read Asian languages, I thought I might ask this question here.
A few years ago I discovered that after reading an English or French book for a few hours and beginning to feel tired, I can take up a Japanese or Chinese book and start reading again feeling quite fresh. The only explanation I can provide now is that my eyes move left to right when I read English but they go top to bottom when I read Japanese since the lines are printed vertically, therefore using a different set of muscles.
I would like to know if others who read Chinese, Japanese or Korean (all vertically written languages) have similar experiences.
Polyglot27 is offline   Reply With Quote