View Single Post
Old 01-16-2009, 10:50 AM   #8
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Quote:
Originally Posted by tech_au View Post
Having no DRM in your ebooks is the best situation that can occur but I am trying to decide whether it is a major issue if ebooks are DRMed.
For music the answer is easy because you listen to purchased music many times over many years on a number of different devices(CD , mp3 player etc) it makes sense to have no DRM.
But for Ebooks, I read it once then delete it from my reader and will probably never read it again. It is the same with paperbacks I used to buy. Throw them in the cupboard after I finished reading them.
Should I really care that I may not be able to redownload it in a few years time?
I reckon I may even consider lower prices for ebooks that perhaps expired 1 year after purchase.
I agree that most books are a read once, but never again kind of thing. That being said, there are old favorites that I return too every few years. They becomes like old friends; some are just a fun read, others remind me of youth and still others inspire me. Now most of those I have in paper format... but you never know when you will find a new one. 10 years after purchasing a book, I want to know I will still be able to read it.

And in any case, there is the basic principle of it essentially interfering with my rights Darn it. I understand the issues of not giving away an ebook... But beyond that, it is mine darn it... I should be able to read it where and how I want. On Jetbook, on my computer or iPod Touch and on whatever other book reader I have 10 years from now.

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote