View Single Post
Old 01-14-2009, 12:59 PM   #27
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by starrigger View Post
An update. Calibre development has come along, and I did get a successful conversion of the Pocket OED from deDRMed mobi to epub. (Or rather, someone with a more powerful computer than mine did it for me.) The epub OED displays fine on my PRS700. However... (you knew there was going to be a however, didn't you?)...it's only marginally useful, because the built-in search links don't work, and the Reader's Search function takes so long you can have lunch while you're waiting.

When I use the Reader's Go to Page function and the scroll bar to advance through the book, I can get to a word I want in less time--though it would still probably be faster to go get the paper dictionary off the shelf. Or grab my PDA and use the original mobipocket version on it.

I am presently attempting a conversion from the epub to lrf to see if that format works better. But my computer's been cranking for 15 hours on that and it hasn't finished yet.

I was curious whether response time was faster from the Reader's memory or from the SD card, so I put it on both. I think it's a little faster from main memory, but I didn't do a careful study.
thanks for the update ! i'll be very interested in hearing how that works, please let us know.

someone else suggested making a dictionary in separate volumes, to reduce the search time (like, AB only, then CD, etc.) would you be interested in trying that ? i'm working on a french dictionary which i was going to test it on, but work has gotten really busy lately so i'm not sure when i'll have time to go back to it...
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote