View Single Post
Old 01-14-2009, 01:53 PM   #26
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver
starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab 10.1, Nook HD+, and Windows Phone
An update. Calibre development has come along, and I did get a successful conversion of the Pocket OED from deDRMed mobi to epub. (Or rather, someone with a more powerful computer than mine did it for me.) The epub OED displays fine on my PRS700. However... (you knew there was going to be a however, didn't you?)...it's only marginally useful, because the built-in search links don't work, and the Reader's Search function takes so long you can have lunch while you're waiting.

When I use the Reader's Go to Page function and the scroll bar to advance through the book, I can get to a word I want in less time--though it would still probably be faster to go get the paper dictionary off the shelf. Or grab my PDA and use the original mobipocket version on it.

I am presently attempting a conversion from the epub to lrf to see if that format works better. But my computer's been cranking for 15 hours on that and it hasn't finished yet.

I was curious whether response time was faster from the Reader's memory or from the SD card, so I put it on both. I think it's a little faster from main memory, but I didn't do a careful study.
starrigger is offline   Reply With Quote