View Single Post
Old 01-14-2009, 11:04 AM   #6
llasram
Reticulator of Tharn
llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
I tested these using the Java MobiPocket Reader on Kindle, EZ Reader and iLiad. All these worked ok, although only the EZ Reader picked up all the extra guide items in The Prince and the Pauper (they all got the TOC, and all the TOCs were navigable).
My code only ensures / generates if necessary a TOC entry, but good to know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
Using the latest FBReader 0.10.0 under Windows, The Three Musketeers worked and correctly detected the Unicode encoding. The other two crashed FBReader (although they worked on the iLad and OpenInkPot with earlier versions of FBReader). Perhaps this was because of the lack of compression?
Weird. I'll see if I can figure out the problem this evening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
The superscript on the footnote links causes the line they are in to have extra leading. I took a look at your HTML, and I can't see a way around that.
If as Jellby says this doesn't usually happen on the Cybook it may be because I'm generating both <sup/> and <font/> tags. As it makes more sense anyway to do just <sup/> (as <font/> within it is ignored) I'll change my code before the merge.

Quote:
The "Goto" list is a bit odd: First Page, Start Reading, Begin Reading, Notes, Illustrations, Frontispiece, Contents, Title Page, Last Page
The list itself or the order? I'm not imposing an order on the <guide/> entries, but it appears that the Mobipocket Readers aren't either, so it's whatever order Python puts them in. I'll modify them to go in the the order they appear in the OPF spec. The "Start Reading" link is kind of weird -- I don't think that one is in the file itself, nor did I see it in Mobipocket Desktop. Where does it link to?

Quote:
The Economist is very good. Certainly working OK and readable. The captions sometimes overlay the next line of text - this seems to be because of the tables used for the layout on the website. The first line indent of 3em seems excessive
Yeah... The 3em thing is kind of weird. Calibre generates CSS with a 2em indent (which is still kind of big IMHO), but then the any2epub font-rescaling code seems to leave the markup with a large font-size on all the block-level elements and all the in-block text within <span/>s which reduce the font size. Definitely a fix there to be had, but rest assured that the Mobi conversion is working properly.

Quote:
The cover image is only 590x750, but I guess that's Calibre.

The Three Musketeers also looks very good. The small caps works. The contents is good. Apart from the cover size (not your doing) I can't fault it.
Actually the cover size is me, I think. I reduced the default screen size used for "full-page" SVG rasterization, which affected all the cover images. It is tunable (through a "renderer profile" option), and as less than 600x800 degrades on the CybookG3 (the only Mobi-native device Calibre has device support for) I'll switch the default back to that. Hanlin users can set their render profile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
I think a title page is missing in the book. Goto first page will jump to the first text page and I think you should be able to see the title and author there.
Ah, that's a "book bug" rather than a converter bug -- my edition doesn't have a separate title page, which I agree wouldn't be a bad idea.

Anyway, thanks for the help, and hopefully this will be in your hands soon!

-Marshall
llasram is offline   Reply With Quote