View Single Post
Old 02-05-2016, 02:54 AM   #14
Araucaria
Bibliophile
Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Libra H20, Kindle PW2, Moon Pro on Lenovo tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
All Patrick's ecclesiastical records show Bronte, he was baptised as Brunty and his father was Hugh Brunty Names morph over time and I would imagine that when Patrick arrived at Cambridge the spelling Brunty became Bronte, though he still pronounced is as one syllable - Brunty.

The change from a "y" to a "ė" looks to be an attempt to convey a pronunciation but to disguise the more "earthy" origin of the name, the reference to an umlauted "i" also seems to point in this direction.

BobC
I assume just there you mean "two syllables", Bob? I don't see how Brunty could ever be pronounced as a single syllable.

I'm sure you're right about the perceived earthiness of "Brunty". Our Victorian relations really didn't seem to like being reminded of their agricultural roots. I lived near the South London area now called "Peak Hill": the 1818 map shows it as "Pig Hill".

And I find it curious that the words "gentrify" and "gentrification" weren't used until the 1960s, given the longer history of the phenomenon.
Araucaria is offline   Reply With Quote