View Single Post
Old 01-21-2016, 01:05 AM   #12
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
Quote:
Originally Posted by GtrsRGr8 View Post
...I have taken down the post. I won't be posting anymore ebooks located at monoskop.org.

Believe it or not, I am very conscientious about stuff like you brought up. I run across a superfluity of ebooks (mostly pdfs) offered for free download on various websites. I pass on a huge number of those, because of concerns. For example, I found, a few days ago, a really desirable ebook of fairly recent publication, and one that is pretty expensive if you have to buy it. The issue? It was posted on an Italian website. The book is in English, but the website posting it is Italian (with no "English" option that I could find)....
Some of the sites do give the appearance of permission, but I could not find any permissions at monoskop, but instead a very old (and often non-US hosted or college student) attitude that anyone that had an objection to their "hosting" files could file a takedown. The implication that anything still hosted there was by permission (rather than just not discovered, yet).

I also found a fairly recent book posted as a PDF recently, when I was searching out info on the book. I'm sure the original is in the public domain world-wide, but the translation I was hunting for does not appear to be (I had thought it might be older than it is). One of the top sites that turned up, though, was what appears to be an Asian college site of some sort (I'm not entirely sure which Asian nation, as I can't read much of of the site) and I really doubt they had permission to be hosting the book, as it is fairly recently copyrighted by a well-known publisher here in the States.
koland is offline   Reply With Quote