View Single Post
Old 01-06-2009, 05:49 PM   #14
jj2me
Fanatic
jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony: PRS-505, -350; Kindle 3 3G, Fire; ZiiO 7"; Slick ER-701
Quote:
Originally Posted by xianfox View Post
Instead, they hire out a firm, like Lightning Source, who are charging fees to handle conversion and distribution that are in the same neighborhood as conventional printing and distribution per copy. The publishers, to a large degree, have not realized the savings yet as they haven't even built the infrastructure yet.
I defer to your industry knowledge. But paying to "handle conversion and distribution?" Authors submit manuscripts in ASCII, right? Conversion, absent DRM, takes what, a few days? And "distribution," after establishing initial contracts with on-line booksellers, thereafter consists of an attachment to an e-mail, no?

This makes me think you're right about "haven't even built the infrastructure yet." Perhaps haven't even thought about it.

I'm sure I'm missing something, but I'm not about to buy stock in Lightning Source.
jj2me is offline   Reply With Quote