View Single Post
Old 11-27-2015, 03:31 AM   #210
bopuc
livin' with ebooks
bopuc is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.bopuc is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.bopuc is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.bopuc is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.bopuc is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.bopuc is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.bopuc is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.bopuc is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.bopuc is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.bopuc is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.bopuc is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.

Location: Berlin (DE), winters in Aomori (JP), from Montréal (CA)
Device: Libra2, KOA
Thanks David,

(For context, I ask because I have built a system for myself* which pulls directly from calibre's SQL database.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Yes, your right. I haven't looked at that code for ages. But, they should be there until the next time you fetch annotations.
"there until next time I fetch annotations" is not a reliable, permanent database. By the looks of it (I have opened the "annotations.db" database in a MySQL viewer), there is a table named "Kindle_Amazon_Kindle_annotations" and it appears to actually hold (mysteriously enough) most if not all of my Kindle annotations ever (I have been meticulous about keeping my My_Clippings.txt around.)

I want to know if the plugin is acting strangely or if the code, by design, keeps and maintains that full record (which would be great!).

Now, my limitation is that Python is not a programming language I know and so I do not know what your code is doing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
There has been an occasional request for an export function, but I've never been happy with any of my ideas. A JSON dump is simple and might make for an easy import as well. I'll have a think about it.
In my case I do not need an export function (because I already have one, one that needs to parse the HTML-encoded annotations through an XML parser), I would simply love it if the plugin took a copy of the data structure of what gets HTML-ified and stuck into the calibre database, JSON-ify it as well and stick that into an adjacent field (in the calibre database). No one needs to see it in the UI necessarily, but having access to it in the DB would be sweet. Well, for me anyways… cough… heh

If you pushed the current revision up to your GitHub repo for the project, I might clone it and try my hand at learning some Python (finally!).

Ideally, if your Annotations plugin can be *the* trusted Annotations importer, formatter and manager for calibre, I think that provides a huge amount of value if some better way of then re-consuming annotations, as I have built for myself*, also becomes available.

In any case, as it is it works for me, and I thank you again for the help with the hiccup the other day.

*http://boris.libra.re/library/book/6...5-178c23bb45a4
bopuc is offline   Reply With Quote