View Single Post
Old 01-04-2009, 11:24 AM   #7
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
I seldom use HTML to produce ebooks. I have used DB for a long time and I have had more problems with HTML sources than any other format. DOC or RTF seem to work better and even a well prepared TXT file seems more adapt than HTML. I use the BD TOC functions rather than importing any TOC from the outside.
It is clear that HTHL and BD do NOT intermix!!! I've never had my HTML processed properly by BD, thus my avoidance of same.

Quote:
That said, I reviewed the LRF output and there are sevral things I would have liked to see that I did not and several things I saw that I would liked to have not seen.

While I did see page breaks for the main stories, I did not see page breaks for the TOC, title, and other front material. This produced a run-on situation with the title of the book split between the bottom of one page and the top of the next.
Yeah, I kind of "ignored/forgot" those page-breaks as I got them for free when I resized the large images to display on my reader and they "filled" up the page so that the next line DID appear on the next page. I noticed it too on the .lrf/prc ebook version that they were "missing". Good point!

Quote:
I saw all of the original page references. Many of the PG HTML sources place these on the side away from the body of the text and that is fine. Given the narrow column width of most readers, this is not viable. Some PG HTML sources put them inline (as this LRF output was) and for long pages of text it is not too bad, here with very short pages it is a major intrusion. Some PG texts have even put the page number within a word when it is split over two pages.
Page references are a personal preference. I don't mind them, but it does take some effort to remove them properly, which I wasn't ready to expend for this simple test. But I do see that it would be one of the items that should be addressed when converting HTML to ebooks. I don't mind removing them either, but it's a shame to have to undo all the hard work done by the PGDP to put them there in the first place.

In the end, I do agree that they do not belong in the ebook version though.

Quote:
I wish you all the possible success with the project Nick. If anyone can pull it off, I believe you can.
Thanks, we've already got a great start, and I think will improve, as more and more people chime in!
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote