View Single Post
Old 01-04-2009, 09:20 AM   #10
phossler
Wizard
phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I found a lot of PDB files in Usenet, and if I rename them to PRC, I can just copy them to the Kindle where they work "sort of" OK, except for the expected display formatting and the mal-formed or missing Title/Author.

Quote:
but i feel that these kind of files are not common and you can probably do other things in the conversion chain to preserve some markup.
I just assumed that PDB (renamed to PRC) was a common format.

Two things I've been doing (not knowing any better)

1. a) I used the ABC Amber Palm converter to make MS Word or RTF files from the PDB's, b) MS Word to edit the RTF, add pictures, and apply Heading 1 styles for the Kindle TOC enteries, and c) MobiCreator to convert the DOC file to make a HTML and a PRC. d) I just copy the PRC file to the Kindle, .

Some books are worth the effort to do that so I can re-format, fix typos, and add a TOC

2. But for the majority, I just rename the PDB as PRC and then copy to the Kindle, where they display "OK", except for the metadata in the Home page Index on the Kindle. I was looking a easy way to edit the metadata in the PRC (or PDB).

3. The GUI seemed the way to go. Rename the PDB to PRC, open it in the GUI, add Title/Athor, and Convert. Onlly problem is that it doesn't work

Quote:
Yes, this is as expected. What format did you start with?
Started with the original PDB file, but I would have expected the line breaks to convert over. Instead it's just a huge block of text.

Once again, thanks for your time explaining things.

Paul
phossler is offline   Reply With Quote