View Single Post
Old 12-30-2008, 05:02 PM   #1
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Creating multiple ebook formats from same source files!

I want to improve the way I make .imp ebooks from (rich) .html and up to now my MO has been to perfect what I would like displayed on my hardware reader ebook-wise (pardon the pun) and then make other ebook formats for uploading here. Other formats include .prc/.mobi (Mobipocket) and .lrf/.epub (Sony).

Currently, if I want to produce a .imp, .prc and .lrf (and in the future .epub) ebook for uploading here, then I will "nail it" using eBook Publisher for the .imp ebook, then use a copy of the .opf with Mobipocket Creator and finally a command-line Calibre program, either html2lrf.exe or opf2html.exe.

However, I see from using the (software) Mobipocket Reader and Calibre lrfviewer/ebook-viewer that my other ebook formats suffer from shortcomings of my .html source files used.

As an example, I converted a PG offering entitled Little Stories for Little Children by Anonymous using the HTML .zip (22896-h.zip). I produced a .imp/.epub (using a beta eBook Publisher), .prc (using Mobipocket Creator) and .lrf/.epub (using Calibre v0.4.121). I attach as Little Stories for Little Children.zip my source files as revised by me including the original 22896-h.htm as well as a simple "diffs" .txt file to see what I changed.

Now to the problems:
  • what appears centered in a .imp ebook is right-aligned sometimes when using Mobipocket Reader,
  • the <pre> tag is not well supported in Mobipocket ebooks,
  • fonts sizes seem larger in Sony ebooks (though I think the user can control this; just the software viewer doesn't)
  • <hr>/paragraph breaks/<h1> are exaggerated, etc...
  • Conversely, when I want to signify a page-break, my .imp reader doesn't understand <p style="page-break-after: always"> (which is theorectically better) and only recognizes <p style="page-break-before: always">.
  • Yuk!
What I would like to find out is what works best for ALL ebook formats. A basic "hit list" of html constructs to use and/or avoid.

I would appreciate any comments from those that prepare .prc/.mobi ebooks from .html on how they would change my source .html files to better make a Mobipocket ebook. The same goes for those who make Sony ebooks from .html.

In the end, I hope we can standardize the creation of ebooks from .html so that the best possible ebooks can be created from a single (multi-purpose) source.

Please upload any better Mobipocket or Sony (or eBookwise) ebook you can make using my source below (please upload source/diffs as well).

Any thoughts in this regard?

Last edited by nrapallo; 12-30-2008 at 06:18 PM. Reason: typo
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote