View Single Post
Old 12-29-2008, 12:56 PM   #1
French
Groupie
French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Mobi books on Kindle and _______

Hi everyone.

I'm not sure where to start and I don't want to cause frustration if I missed an easy answer...

I use Mobi as my primary reader, mainly because they have supported every phone I've used and I like having my books with me no matter where I am (since I always have my cell phone with me).

For Christmas, DH bought me a Sony ereader. I don't know if I'm a good candidate for any ereader at this point in my life...I tend to prefer going to the library and checking them out for free. In other words, I've never been big on buying them. Having said that, though, I DO like having a few to choose from on my cell phone for down times.

So then I got to thinking that maybe a Kindle is a better fit for me. I'm not saying I'm not meant to be an ereader...I'm just not sure. But I love gadgets and every one I've ever "learned" I've wondered how I survived without it.

I promise, I'm getting to a point.

So Kindle is based off Mobi format. But am I understanding that I can't read them on both the Kindle and my Blackberry (with Mobi software installed)? That Kindle is indeed Mobi but locked down to just Kindle? In my world I could see myself getting more into ereading and buying books if I could have them loaded in both places. My blackberry for unexpected down time, but my Kindle for those times I know I'm going somewhere that I'll have time to do some serious reading (and the foresight to take my Kindle with me).

And why are Kindle's mobi books so much cheaper than Mobi's site, or any site for that matter? Fictionwise looks to be closer in price to Amazon. But as an example, the Christmas Sweater is $9.99 on Amazon, $11.47 on Fictionwise (with membership) and $17.99 on Mobi's site. Of course if I could pay the lesser price and share on devices this would be ideal.

I'm reading it's possible to convert some books but honestly it sounds like a bit much to go through for books that already cost top dollar.

Why have the creators of these ebooks and devices made it so darn difficult. I agree with other posts where it has been suggested there be one file type but that anyone could create a reader for said type. I would far prefer to know any book I buy now I'll always be able to read. Especially since I AM paying pretty much full paper back (and in some cases hard back)price.

So my main question about sharing Mobi books between devices, and any comments or thoughts you care to share on my frustration over my initial findings and understandings of the ebook world. Maybe I'm even totally off base.

Thank you in advance. I look forward to learning about this technology overall.
French is offline   Reply With Quote