View Single Post
Old 12-28-2008, 12:35 AM   #1
imagitronics
Enthusiast
imagitronics has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.imagitronics has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.imagitronics has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle DX / Sony PRS-505
PRS-505 won't boot with large number of images.

Hey all,

I've been holding out for the plastic logic reader due out in Q2 2009 (www.plasticlogic.com), but my wife got me a PRS-505 for Christmas. Never one to look a gift-horse in the mouth, I transfered a number of my PDF files to the device with varying success, and purchased a few books from the Sony store.

Then I got an idea. The greyscale screen, the widescreen format. This device would be absolutely perfect for reading newspaper (or web-based) comic strips. I aggregated a number of them, such as xkcd.

I tried to use Calibre to format the images into an ebook format, but the results were pretty dismal no matter what I tried. Most of the comics would scan two "pages" and since there is no fine-grained control over the screen, I could only see the top half of the strip on one page, and the bottom half of the strip on the next page.

Then I came up with the idea to just put the image files onto the device. They looked fabulous in the image viewer, so I dove right in and put a couple thousand images onto the SD card. Now the device won't even boot with the SD card inserted. When it was taking hours to boot, I was hoping that it was building some sort of database on the SD card and that it would be a one-time thing... unfortunately, the batteries died before I could find out.

My question is, does anyone know what settings I can use to take a standard weekday comic strip and convert it into something that's more readable... alternately, what's been your experience in copying a large number of images to the device?

Thanks for reading. I know I'm a bit verbose.
Tim
imagitronics is offline   Reply With Quote