View Single Post
Old 06-26-2015, 04:51 AM   #11
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
I wonder if we're drifting perilously close to a Facsimilite versus Bowdlerite controversy here.

I have looked at Bel Ami in the original French and was puzzled to see that after the name change the spelling is occasionally du Roy and occasionally Du Roy, even within a few lines of each other in the same paragraph. As far as I could tell if the name followed any punctuation mark it was Du Roy. If the name did not follow a punctuation mark it was du Roy.

Also, I got hold of the Penguin version of Bel Ami from the local library this afternoon. So far as I can tell after the name change every time the name occurs it's Du Roy. That to me is just as ugly as the variation in the French version.

Rightly or wrongly, for good or for bad, in my edition of Bel Ami if the name follows a full stop I'm going to make it Du Roy. If the name does not follow a full stop I'm going to make it du Roy.
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote