View Single Post
Old 02-05-2015, 03:07 PM   #36
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
You made a desktop shortcut, yes?

Those are the program.desktop files which usually build menus (and which you can pin to the desktop). Since it has become unpopular to actually allow people to make them via GUIs anymore [shakes fist at Canonical] you usually have to create them in a text editor -- well, that is how I got used to creating them.

Desktop Entry

You can get away with desktop entries in the system location having 644 permissions, but elsewhere IIRC it must be executable.

So I assume you were using a .desktop launcher to give it an icon.

I guess I assumed you knew this stuff already because you mentioned desktop shortcuts, but really there is nothing wrong with not knowing them. No one needs to delve first thing into freedesktop specs. I did because I wanted iconized launchers to custom stuff.

Yes, that is what I meant by blanking BIN_DIR. As you can see, if it is a valid directory, we use the calibre binary from it, elseif the length is zero, use the system search path, else complain loudly that the directory doesn't exist and fallback on the system search path.

Last edited by eschwartz; 02-05-2015 at 03:12 PM.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote