View Single Post
Old 12-07-2008, 12:47 AM   #1
foxpaw
Foxpaw
foxpaw began at the beginning.

Device: HTC/AT&T Titan, Kindle DX
Exclamation Resolved -- Problems at Fictionwise.com

What's happened to Fictionwise? I've been shopping from them fro nearly two years now....but apparently, lately, they've changed to some new kind of shopping cart security system that is highly unreliable.

What happened: over the past few days I've been purchasing a large number of Mobipocket ebooks to load up my Cingular/AT&T 8525's SD card....shortly before I deploy overseas with the military. I've purchased nearly 100 ebooks in Mobi format from Fictionwise as I have been a member there for some time and they give some pretty good rebates and prices for members. And, on volume purchases (over $100, they would give an additional 15% back).

Well, tonight, while making my final selections (and had then planned to download and sync all those new books to my device)....and then went to purchase them by my usual credit card, some kind of security alert came on and said their new system had locked up my account from any further purchases or downloads due to some "unspecified" error in my account!

So.....I cannot make any further purchases.....I cannot download the 100 or so books I have purchased successfully in the past few days....and they have frozen the nearly $200 in MicroPay rebates I had earned. And, of course, it's Saturday....so they can take your money 24/7....but no one is around to take care of any problems. Obviously there is a serious glitch in their security system. I have been one of their best customers for a long time.....using the same reliable credit card (which, by the way, after calling them this evening, they did, in fact, pay Fictionwise or approve the charge for every single transaction with Fictionwise...including tonight's charges....so the problem is NOT with my good credit).

I recommend that purchasers of ebooks steer clear of Fictionwise until they get their new system figured out. Right now, their business plan of taking lots of money from a customer....then locking-up their account.....well, that's a new one to me!

Bottom line: AVOID FICTIONWISE until they get their act together. Or you'll be feeling the same frustration as I am. And my deployment to you-know-where is just a few days away. I suspect I will be carrying hard-copy books instead....and not many, considering the added weight to an already heavy pack! Bummer!

Thanks for reading my diatribe.....but, please, friends, DO be careful over at Fictionwise....they are a complete rip-off these days.

Last edited by NatCh; 12-08-2008 at 08:54 AM. Reason: adjusted thread title to reflect that the reported issue has been resolved.