View Single Post
Old 12-05-2008, 04:36 PM   #13
llasram
Reticulator of Tharn
llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
How do you include the cover image in the ePUB file? I mean, how is it marked up in the .opf file or whatever? Do readers (e.g. the Sony ones) display the covers in thumbnail view?

I seem understand there's no real standard way to include covers in ePUB, but I'm interested in some sort of work-around or de facto standard that would work often at least.
The "standard" way is to simply have the "cover" be the first page in the markup stream. Adobe's "EPUB Best Practices Guide" recommends using an SVG image set to scale to fill the display, with no margins (either through CSS body/@page or the Adobe-extension page master stylesheet), which certainly works and looks good in AdobeDE on both the desktop and the PRS-505/700.

For specifying a raster "cover image," Mobipocket suggests having a metadata/meta element with a @name of "cover" and a @content of the manifest/item/@id of your cover image. I'm not sure who else does anything with that, but the DRM-free EPUB books I bought from HarperCollins UK do it too.

HTH.
llasram is offline   Reply With Quote