I've been talking to TaKir and LVD about the Hanlin V8 (russian version) and have managed to collect some information.
The newest test we did, was to take a HTML file that was "ripped" from a PDF. The PDf file was ok, the HTML looked fine on my screen.
Now I asked TaKir to try it on his V8 (please keep in mind that the firmware he's using is still beta).
The resulting screenshots are put up next to shots of the very same HTML with the very same limitations/formatting on my PDA (mobipocket reader).
For comparison I also put up a screenshot of the file as .txt (ripped from same PDF using PDFtoTXT. The HTML was ripped using PDFtoHTML.
As you can see, the performance of both Hanlin and the PDA are far from perfect.
Additionally, you can get some impression of how the note-taking works on the Hanlin using the slave-display. This feature actually looks good...^^
Here come the pictures (I hope it works...first time...)
Something that deeply worries me is the amount of "dirt" from previous screen-refreshes that is visible ont he screen of the V8 TaKir owns. I thought new eink screens don't have these "ghost" images, but all the screens i've seen so far contain a lot of these and I find them fairly obtrusive, even seen on photographs. I could imagine really hating them in "real-life".