It is not hard to do at all.
- Install the Sony eLibrary software on the new computer and register it to your Sony account. (At this point you would have 2 PCs and 1 Reader on the account.)
- Check for updates and update the software as needed.
- Plug in your Reader to ensure that the USB connection is working since there is a special USB driver required for those of us that still have the older PRS-500.
- Now you can redownload all of the books you purchased/received from Sony. (It is easier than transferring the old files due to the authorization.)
- If you are keeping the older computer and want to run the eLibrary from there, then you are finished,
- If you want to dispose of the older computer, you can deauthorize it from the Sony site through the eLibrary on the older machine or by sending a note to Sony from the newer machine. (A telephone call to Sony support also works.)
If you have ebooks from other sources such as Fictionwise or that you have downloaded from free sites such as MobleRead these can be directly transferred to the new machine or downloaded again, your choice.
If you have any more questions, just ask. Please keep us updated as to how it goes.