View Single Post
Old 06-02-2006, 02:02 PM   #10
bingle
Addict
bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by shousa
Sorry to disagree but this simply is not correct in the case of Acrobat Ebook reader files. They do not have to make any "agreement" with Amazon or anyone else that supplies ebooks. Go to Adobe's site for details - anyone can make hardware and software to do it - they are CHOOSING not to do it so they can make money from ebook stores - pure and simple.

Now that was my last post!!
Sayonara!!

I'm not sure about this. It certainly seems that way from Adobe's site, but there are stories all over the internet about DRM protected ebooks not working under Linux - apparently the Linux community has been asking for DRM support from Adobe for a while. If it were possible for developers to do on their own, it seems like someone would have just made a DRM-enabled PDF reader for Linux.

Also, Adobe's ebooks site specifies that the software will work only on Mac OS and Windows. Of course, that could be simply because they don't want to point to any competitor's software for other OSes.

All in all, I can't tell whether anyone can create a reader for protected PDFs for free. It certainly seems that Adobe is more open than I gave them credit for, but I'm still not sure whether they're *that* open. In any case, it would seem like a good tack for Hanlin to take, since it seems Adobe isn't exerting Apple-like levels of control over their DRM, anyway.
bingle is offline   Reply With Quote