Thread: Troubleshooting Kindle PW1 Frozen: Restart doesn't work
View Single Post
Old 09-19-2014, 01:04 AM   #15
Donwbtr
Donwbtr plays well with othersDonwbtr plays well with othersDonwbtr plays well with othersDonwbtr plays well with othersDonwbtr plays well with othersDonwbtr plays well with othersDonwbtr plays well with othersDonwbtr plays well with othersDonwbtr plays well with othersDonwbtr plays well with othersDonwbtr plays well with others

Device: Kindle PW 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Readirect View Post
It's not clear to me that you tried to actually turn the device off by pressing the reset button for a good 30 seconds or more. (You said "several" seconds, it takes more than that).

This kind of problem can occur when the device runs short of space to create its index. (It happened to me), especially when I had subscriptions on it. If you can get it turned off, plug the usb into the pc and try turning it on. That'll open a window for the device on the pc and you can delete books to free up some space for the index to continue.

Of course, if you took out the battery you DID turn it off BUT if you then restarted it without going into USB mode to clear some free space, you just ran into the same problem when it restarted.

The Kindle gets REALLY wonky when it has less than about 150 mb free on it. It also can do so when there's a bad file that it's trying to index so ... if you CAN get it turned back on in USB mode ... I'd try deleting all your books and start again from scratch, again via the PC.

At least, that whole process worked for me when I had this problem.
I'm afraid I wrote several times not seconds, reset attempts involved holding down the power button at least 40 seconds and usually over a minute. Amazon tech support had me try with several different techniques, by this time reset has been attempted over 30 times at least.

There was plenty of storage free when it froze, probably less than 10% full. From the timing it was almost certainly caused by a bad book (Marengo and Hohenlinden: Napoleon's Rise to Power by James R. Arnold) download, I'm somewhat annoyed that Amazon hasn't been of more help since the problem file was being downloaded directly from Amazon through their matchbook program.

The screen still shows the time when it froze and the dark flash when airplane mode was pushed. The computer won't recognize the Kindle even as an unknown device although it sometimes makes that excited Windows noise when connected by the USB cable. I did experiment with replacing the battery with the Kindle both connected and unconnected to the computer, waiting overnight, pressing and holding the power button with the battery removed etc.
Donwbtr is offline   Reply With Quote