View Single Post
Old 08-28-2014, 10:42 AM   #626
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
In all fairness though; while the first agency "experiment" was indeed a no- (no not ever) discount contract (and I'm sure publishers would like nothing more than to return to that situation), it's not beyond the realm of possibility that an agreement could be reached with "special" discounting concessions included.
That would be a step in the right direction. If anything it would allow competition again. That is why I said "maybe, maybe not" - and that will depend on the kind of contract.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Amazon would be stupid to sign such a contract. At a minimum, they should insist on contracts similar to what Apple does. Apple doesn't allow more than 5% (I think) discounting on it's stuff. So stores get around it by selling a $399 iPad mini for $379 and then giving the customer a free $50 ~ $75 gift card on top of that.
Last time Amazon signed such a contract in 2010 it wasn't because they were stupid. It was because the alternative was even worse. Except it turned out that even that stupid contract did not hurt Amazon much.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote