Thread: MobileRead 2015 Categories Poll
View Single Post
Old 08-21-2014, 12:55 PM   #34
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Dazrin, could we/I please get a clarification on what will be done if D is chosen?

And we appear to be heading in a direction I was hoping could be avoided: a couple of vocal people pushing something that the majority may not want.

We had a poll with various choices, some that allow for further discussion and voting, some that don't; D was one of those that was meant to be final. IMO.

I'm feeling very, very, very, very disenfranchised.
Right now, the best I can say is that post 46 is the base for option D.

Unfortunately, without starting over, I don't know that it is fair to say definitively what option D will be. Either you/treadlightly (and others?) get disenfranchised or JSWolf (and others?) does.

I am certainly open to feedback here. How do we resolve this and keep it fair to everyone? Does starting over make sense? Does setting the option in stone make sense? Should we change option I to be post 72 and see if WT Sharpe can split the votes that have already been cast to the appropriate option? Etc.

Here are my current thoughts on how to resolve this if option D wins: have a shorter, single vote, run-off poll with (1) post 46, (2) post 72, (3) the runner-up from this poll. I am including the runner-up from this poll because if option D doesn't win by a large margin and then gets split, it is likely that the runner-up would have won to start with. I would post the questions and the OP in this thread (or the discussion thread) before starting that poll to be sure I have things correct.

Does this option feel fair to everyone? It gives both of the lists an even chance and gives the runner-up a chance since the vote for option D would almost certainly be split.

Spoiler:
I have gone away from this in favor of a run-off poll which would give everyone a vote instead of just those who voted for option D, but my original thought as alluded to earlier in this thread was that after the vote, if option D wins, I would send a PM to the people who voted on this choice asking: Did you want post 46? Did you want post 72? Did you care? I will report the results back here (anonymously* if any one person wants me to do that) and if there is a large consensus (2/3?) one way or the other, that option will win. If there isn't a large consensus, I will post another poll with the two options and maybe, if someone can come up with a compromise option that gets a lot of verbal support from both sides, a third option. I am not inclined to add a third option at this point though. I might also include the runner-up option from the original poll unless option D wins by a large number. That way we have the runner up option that might have won if the vote for option D had been split.

*If I do get asked to post it anonymously, I would probably want to have a 3rd party know who/what all the votes are as well so that that person can verify that I have it all correct. I would do that by copying them on the initial PMs or at least forwarding the responses.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote