View Single Post
Old 11-13-2008, 06:01 PM   #9
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Generic virtual reality story-experiential device
O.K., I just tried out the 505 to compare it again to the 700.

The screen of the 505 is better - no question about it. But, under sufficiently bright light, the 700 is O.K., and the difference between the two screens is significantly diminished. I guess the first time I went to the Sony Style store, I was comparing them under a very bright light, and that's why I went with the 700.

BUT, I actually tried the 505 with a book of about 500+ pages, converted from a PDF to EPUB in Calibre.

The book was easy to navigate and flip through on the 700. On the 505, it was a very different experience: First, I thought I had a blank page, then that I had not pressed the page button -- it was that slow! Choosing to go directly to p. 200 took ages - I mean I could have made a cup of coffee. And changing font size, which is natural and fast on the 700, is excruciatingly slow on the 505.

To boot, page changes on the 500+ page book were significantly longer on the 505, than changing pages on the short demo excerpts they had loaded on it. In fact, on the 500+ page book the time it took to flip a page was a bit too long to be considered an enjoyable reading experience.

Argh....
Sonist is offline   Reply With Quote