View Single Post
Old 07-30-2014, 11:55 PM   #96
mehrdadmms
mehrdadmms began at the beginning.

Device: ipad air
Hi,
Is this really the text of the 1922 edition of ulysses ? I mean you have a print copy of this edition and compared the text? I really want to read the first edition of ulysses published 1922 in Paris but i couldn't find it anywhere on the web.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pynch View Post
The publisher asks the reader’s indulgence for typographical errors unavoidable in the exceptional circumstances.” — Sylvia Beach.

As there isn’t—and likely never will be—an authoritative edition of Ulysses, this epub should happily embrace that fact, which is why I added a second version: the text of the 1922 Shakespeare & Company first edition that has all the “original” mistakes. I have paginated both versions according to the first edition, and those page numbers also serve as links between the two which should make comparisons easier.

I was a little surprised not to find an epub of this anywhere, so I used the transcription from wikisource, carefully deleted all the line breaks inside paragraphs, added the copyright notice and the printer’s note not present in the transcription, and tried to adhere to the original formatting as close as possible (meaning there is a third stylesheet in this epub now). Even obvious formatting errors have not been corrected.

To be continued,
pynch.
mehrdadmms is offline   Reply With Quote