Thread: MobileRead August 2014 Book Club Vote
View Single Post
Old 07-24-2014, 03:58 PM   #7
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Here are my thoughts so far. I have read 2 of them already. Rendezvous with Rama is an excellent story, not much action, but I really felt like I was with them as they explored Rama. One of the better books I read last year after it was nominated. Would be interesting to see what others have to say about it. One Damned Thing After Another, this story was just a fun time travel story with lots of action. I really loved The Doomsday Book by Connie Willis that was selected last year and thought this would be similar but it really goes in a different direction. Just a fun book to read.

I nominated Ready Player One since it has had excellent reviews and is supposed to be very nostalgic for people who grew up in the 80s and 90s. I am considering "reading" it via audio book since Wil Wheaton was the narrator and is also a character in the book. I like to listen to him talk and have heard he did great for this book. For me this seems like a great pairing given Wil's love of all things geek.

I agree with WT Sharpe about The Martian, great book but already discussed a lot here, and The Time Machine.

The Dispossessed is also a big contender for me, I have been trying to read the Hugo/Nebula winners from years past and haven't read this one yet. I have found the winners are generally excellent books, if not always in the ways I was expecting.

Ancillary Justice sounds interesting, but honestly I am a little turned off by the whole Hatchette/Amazon thing going on right now, so am probably not going to purchase anything from them till that is resolved. I would be more inclined if it was available at my library.

The others are not interesting enough for me to vote for with the possible exception of City at World's End which has an interesting premise.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote