Thread: Avoid Kobo
View Single Post
Old 07-16-2014, 11:50 PM   #1
bvz
bvz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bvz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bvz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: sony prs-t1
Avoid Kobo

I just purchased over $200 worth of e-books on kobo to download to my sony ereader.

Now, on my Mac (after updating to the latest version of both the desktop software and the latest firmware for my reader) I cannot download any of my books. It just says "error".

But when I try to contact Kobo, they ONLY have an email form you can fill out (with a 48-60 hour return email policy). No phone number. No live chat. Nothing. I managed to find a single phone number on the web (and I really had to search hard) on which there is a recording that says "We have improved our help! Go to Kobo.com and we look forward to hearing from you!"

Now isn't that just special.

I am leaving tomorrow morning for a 3 week trip and it looks like I just wasted $200 on these shysters. My job has been a nightmare for the past two months. I have been working over 75 hours a week. The only thing I have been looking forward to is a nice long vacation during which I can sit and read for hours on end. Now... Well it looks like I'm not going to be able to do that. Thanks Kobo. You guys are the best!

So here is my recommendation. When looking to buy a new ereader I would strongly suggest avoiding any company that thinks 48-60 hour turn around customer support for a technical device or service is actually "customer support". My recommendation is to avoid Kobo.

Edit: Finally managed to get the books to download directly to the device after powering it down several times (4 cycles). Still can't download to my desktop.

Honestly, their software is terrible and customer support - as noted - beyond the pale. The only good thing they have going is allowing me to buy from a local bookstore, but even there it is only marginal at best. I spoke with the owner of my local book store and they say they barely get anything when I buy from Kobo through them. Really doesn't seem worth the effort.

Last edited by bvz; 07-17-2014 at 12:06 AM.
bvz is offline   Reply With Quote