View Single Post
Old 07-13-2014, 09:03 AM   #876
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
I just finished listening to The Man Who Was Thursday by G.K. Chesterton. The ending left me feeling like I'd missed something. This was surely one of the strangest of his books that I've read. Thinking it was an espionage thriller, I assumed there would be less of the intrusion of the author's religious sentiments than in his Father Brown series, but found instead that it was filled not only with Christian allegory, but hints of oriental mysticism. (I learned after reading it that it was one of his earlier works, written while he was still a Protestant.)
Spoiler:
The identity and exact purpose of the mysterious man called Sunday was never made clear, but he appeared to have been very ancient indeed.

I should add that I'm giving this a big thumbs up. It's very much off the beaten track. I had to re-read the last chapter online after composing the post above to get the full impact of this metaphysical mystery.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote