View Single Post
Old 07-05-2014, 11:59 AM   #840
Smith-Corona
Smith-Corona can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterSmith-Corona can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterSmith-Corona can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterSmith-Corona can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterSmith-Corona can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterSmith-Corona can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterSmith-Corona can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterSmith-Corona can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterSmith-Corona can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterSmith-Corona can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterSmith-Corona can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Nook HD+
Problem with margins

hi Willus,

first, thanks for a very useful piece of software, it opens up many reading possibilities. I can do some basic things with k2pdfopt, but I am having trouble understanding how margin settings work.

First of all, I am not sure what "Crop margins" means. To me that suggests, how much would you like to crop the margins by, ie how much would you like to chop off. But the default setting of 0.00 removes the margin altogether, so I guess "Crop margins" refers to the actual margin width? I've tried various combinations of right and left "crop margins" and it never seems to do what I want it to do, which is to *set* the margins to a certain width. Increasing the margin values just seems to "eat into" the text width.

What I would like to do is set margins relative, not to the text, but to the page edge. I have some PDFs with widely varying margins on each page, because of sidebars etc. Because k2pdfopt sets margins relative to the text, I end up with different font sizes, depending on whether k2pdfopt is working with a wide margin page or a narrow margin page. This is with default settings, ie margin = 0. I have also tried "trim" and for the most part this seems to keep font sizes the same, but then the pages end up as very different sizes...

So basically I want all the pages cropped as much as they can be with reference to the maximum text width found in the document (with column set to 1). Then to make all the pages that size, and have the font the same size throughout.

I am using Native PDF Output to keep the file size down.

cheers

Smith-Corona
Smith-Corona is offline   Reply With Quote