View Single Post
Old 06-19-2014, 10:25 PM   #847
WT Sharpe
Grand Muckity-Muck
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad Air, iPod Nano. Other devices gathering dust.
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
...I suppose it goes with the territory of the proselytizing convert. It recalls to me how in Brideshead Revisited, Evelyn Waugh used a quote from one of the stories, The Queer Feet to describe the effect of grace on the lapsed and susceptible.
You're probably right. Oh well, it's a G.K. Chesterton book, and authors are free to write in any way they please. The heavy-handed proselytizing is not exactly the book's most endearing quality in my opinion, but there's no law saying I have to read it. That being said, the book's virtues far outweigh that bit of irritation, so I will be continuing with the series, but for now I'm taking a break to listen to Monk's Hood by Ellis Peters (Edith Pargeter). Surely there's no danger of encountering overt religiosity in a book with a title like that! Just kidding. Her Brother Cadfael series of books are also by necessity filled with religious elements and sentiments, but at least you don't come away from them feeling like you've just been handed an unsolicited religious tract by an uninvited guest on your front porch.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote